Harry Street’s mission statement is:
“Every day, within our school and community, we will strive to exceed our goals to educate all students. We will provide a safe, positive, and meaningful learning environment to help prepare our students for life's challenges and opportunities."
Harry Street's Core Values and Belief Statements are:
Harry Street Elementary School is a school where we are committed to:
- An environment that is safe, positive, engaging, has high expectations, and utilizes Effective School Discipline
- Having curriculum that is standards driven, makes use of additional and supplemental resources, and is driven by our pacing guides
- Providing instruction that includes technology, differentiated instruction, cooperative learning, multiple intelligences, and is student-centered
- Assessment that is data driven, varied, authentic, and timely
Exit Kellogg at Central Business District. Go south on Main St. to Harry St. Harry St. Elementary is on the corner. See Maps for all USD 259 locations.
Harry Street will be a positive working and learning environment where compassionate and supportive staff work together with families to ensure that all students experience academic, social, and emotional success.
Site Council Information
Each school has a site council, which is a group of parents, community members, business representatives, teachers and other school staff. Site councils identify, consider and discuss educational problems and issues at the school. Councils provide advice and counsel for evaluating state, school district and school site performance goals and objectives. Councils may also recommend methods that may be employed at the school site to meet these goals and objectives.
Meeting Day: 4th Thursday of every month
Time: 3:15 p.m.
Location: Harry Street Conference Room (office)
- Title I resources school-wide to address academic needs
- Interrelated Special Education
- Pre-K DD Program
- Speech and language services
- All-day kindergarten
- Technology system: Laptop carts and and computers in every classroom
- Celebration Assemblies
- Year-round before- and after-school program - school age child care program operates before and after school
- Grade level meetings-team planning
- Family engagement nights
Recorded historical facts about
Around 1889 there became a need for a school in
The first school housed only the fifth and sixth grades. The other grades remained at
The old building remained in use for overflow students who were bused in from other schools that were overcrowded. It was later used for surplus storage until its demolition in 1954.
At the beginning of the 1988-89 year, sixth grade students were incorporated into the middle school program.
In April 2000, the voters of the Wichita School District approved a $284.5 million bond issue. The projects began in the fall of 2000 and were completed over the next five years. The plan built 19 multipurpose rooms, upgraded science labs, replaced portable classrooms with permanent construction, improved handicap accessibility to all buildings, rebuilt five existing elementary schools, added a new elementary and middle school, expanded seven other elementary schools and provided nine new libraries as well as the expansion of nine others. Building infrastructure in 82 buildings was also upgraded, including the replacement of antiquated plumbing, updates and expansion of electrical systems, replacement of inefficient or broken windows and doors, upgrades of heating and cooling systems, and asbestos abatement when required.
With the Bond issue construction, Harry Street received a new addition including a multipurpose room, kitchen, library and four classrooms, as well as renovations including the student support area and 2nd floor restrooms. The district approved Architectural Innovations, LLC and Hutton Construction, Corp. to complete this project.
In January 2001, FEMA announced a grant providing $444,762 to help construct safe rooms at Harry Street and various other schools throughout the district.
The USD 259 School District purchased property at 1629 and 1631 S. Market, and also 1636 S. Main to expand the property and construct the new building. This expansion created a new main entrance for the school; the address was changed accordingly.
The Bond project dedication ceremony was held on May 1, 2003.